Tuesday 21 January 2014

Cornus alba.

 A short while ago, I was taken under the wing of a great landscape architect and his welcoming family. It was a really brilliant experience, and very much worthwhile. The most memorable thing I learnt was that northerners are better, more hospitable and harder-working - but I also had a few lessons in plants & design! For instance, he explained to me that variegated foliage can be very important visually - and I've chosen to look at variegated dogwood here.


Cornus alba, "Siberian Dogwood".
(Large suckering shrub.)




Planting: Spring.
Flowering: Spring and summer.
Aspect: Part shade or full sun.
Hardiness: Very hardy.

Notes: If kept in full sun, cornus plants will have strikingly colourful stems in winter - consequently some have been given vivid names such as 'Winter Beauty' and 'Midwinter Fire'.

No comments:

Post a Comment