Friday 14 February 2014

Granny Lalage.

What a wonderful few days I have had.
Despite her modesty, it has never been any secret that my granny Lalage has always been very artistic. I could write paragraphs on her fabulous family tree, which includes writers, canons, even Pocahontas, but then that wouldn't really be in keeping with her humility & gentleness.
I knew she had studied at Chelsea Art College after the war, but nothing could have prepared me for the treasure trove of drawings, designs and beautiful books that she let me look at this week. Her eye for colour deserves a special mention, but for obvious reasons I have chosen to show this fine picture of her father's gardening tools (esteemed academic Hugh I'Anson Fausset).

Although she loves my little sketches of plants (her mother, my great-grandmother, was brilliant with wildflowers and painted them), of course I think her works are far more exciting. Nevertheless, talking & sharing all of these things was a marvellous bonding experience and a great encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. Owen Clutton9:00 am

    That is a fabulous sketch Josh- one can now see where you get your artistic skills from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josh
    I would like to ask you more about your grandmother Lalage who I think may have known my father when she was young. If you have time, can you please email me on mm2669@columbia.edu so that we can be in touch? I'd be very grateful, many thanks Mark Mazower

    ReplyDelete