Sunday 17 July 2016

RHS Hampton Court Palace Flower Show.


          From the moment I was taught that a person could encourage birds & wild animals by planting a tree or making a pond, I knew that at some point in later life I would seek to create a garden of my own. However, I could never have imagined I would ever play any part in the production of an elite show garden, in the glamorous multi-million world of flower shows. Celebrity guests, cream fedoras and cocktails - even as I've started viewing horticulture as a profession as well as a passion, show gardens have seemed as distant from "real life" as the streets of Hollywood or Bond novels. A bit of fun, far far away.

To my own disbelief, then, I can proudly declare that this summer I was invited to take part in the construction of the Witan Investment Trust Global Growth Garden - not a name which rolls of the tongue, but with a lot of promise as one of the larger show gardens on site. Three of us set off toward Hampton Court Palace to join (first-time) designer Jane Bailey and her landscaping crew for the day: senior horticulturist Matt Oliver (he would return for many of the subsequent days), student Josie Rose, and myself. 

Being there during the construction stage was a curious experience, rather like stepping through a looking glass. The noise and busyness of these weeks perfectly equal the show week, yet instead of the hum of a thousand polite conversations in visitors' polished voices, the decibels are made by the raucous yells of landscaping boys, their radios and the reversing beeps of their lorries. In the catering tents, waitresses have to contend with the wolf-whistles of builders and the demands of designers for organic produce - all stood together in the same queue. Obviously the strangest sight of all was of incomplete show-gardens, not yet the immaculate finished articles shown on the nation's televisions. Seeing an actor without their mask or makeup, or a well-loved author's meandering first drafts, must produce a similar sensation. It was very interesting, very surreal, and shattered a few illusions perhaps - not least that these gardens do not pop out of the ground with some fairy dust and the Ground Force brass band. Yet if this was a chance to step behind the scenes of the circus, I'm delighted to say that the beasts were treated well by the ringmaster - Jane was calm and very friendly, and took the time to explain to us over coffee how she was finding it all from her perspective as a new designer (enjoyable but exhausting hours for many weeks away from home). Normally I'd like to write something on what I liked about the design, which was essentially a beautiful concoction of entirely edible plants, but frankly the focus of the day was to get my head down and get stuck in. Anyway, I'm delighted to say it was awarded a silver gilt medal.

For me, it would be ridiculous to give too much of an opinion on whether or not I'd ever go in for show gardens as part of a future career, having worked just one day. However, I know that I fell in love with horticulture for the long-term good it does, for a beauty which may change seasonally but is never lost, and for homeliness. "Even from the heights of splendour, we bounce back and hurry for the latitudes of home", wrote Annie Dillard. Show gardens may be something I'll steer clear of generally, but I know what a privilege it has been to come along for a day and have even a small part in something so special. I'll never look at them quite the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment