Sunday 21 December 2014

Back to school.

Yes, that is a rosette!

     Aside from working among the fine people of the RHS, I've been studying weekly at Writtle College with horticulturalist extraordinaire Christine Lavelle. Every Friday, she takes my class on a tour through a different group of plants, be it trees, herbaceous species, even weeds. We've also been introduced to different forms of propagation and cultivation. Whatever the day brings, it inevitably involves singing, dancing and some skipping around campus.

The tests we sit build towards an RHS Level II Certificate in Practical Horticulture, and I'm delighted to say that they've been going well. This blog was borne of a love of plants, and thus these classes are exactly what I had been hoping for. Aside from the look of each plant, and its latin and common name, Christine also tells us a short account of her personal encounters with it. Naturally this makes things far more memorable and (reinforced by some evening study with a cup of coffee) my confidence is rising with my test marks. As I walk back each time along the River Can, I know a little more about the plants growing on its banks, and it's a wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment