Tuesday 23 December 2014

Chimonanthus praecox.

For as long as I can remember, my father, my sisters and I have always been taken on twilight walks around the family garden with Mum. New plants and the season's successes are always pointed out - and those with an especially beautiful evening scent. The latter have always been fairly lost on me, due to my decidedly average sense of smell. For a long time therefore I have never taken a particular interest in plants for their scent, rather their visual impact.
     However, walking Cambridge University Botanic Garden I was stunned by the aroma of the Chimonanthus praecox. Naturally, everyone around me was delighting in it - but the fact that I was able to smile and nod along was quite a moment! I immediately jotted down the name, and here I write it down in the blog.

Chimonanthus praecox, 'Wintersweet'.
(Deciduous shrub.)

Planting: Autumn. Moist but well-drained soil.
Flowering: Winter.
Aspect: Full sun, south/west-facing, sheltered.
Hardiness: Fairly hardy.

Notes: Although Chimonanthus is a Greek title ('winter-flower'), it is further into the Orient that this genus has been loved most. In China, its flowers coincide with their New Year celebrations, and it has inspired artistic endeavour for hundreds of years. The painting below, 'Chimonanthus and Birds', is the eleventh century creation of Emperor Huizong of the Song Dynasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment