Sunday 29 December 2013

Rosmarinus officinalis.


Continuing the merry theme of herbs that have recently been found on my plate, this post looks at rosemary.


Rosmarinus officinalis, "Rosemary".
(Woody, perennial herb.)


Planting: Late spring.
Flowering: Spring and summer.
Aspect: Full sun, sheltered.
Hardiness: Average.

Notes: The ancient Greeks named it ἄνθος, anthos - which simply means "flower".
               Rosemary was used in divination- several shoots would be assigned the name of a prospective lover,                and that which grew best was the true love. (Although I am a Christian myself, I do not think I'll                          resist giving this a go - I wonder whether Liv Tyler or Nigella Lawson will prove to be my future                           romance?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment