Monday 30 December 2013

Pisum sativum.

During my wonderful student days at Nottingham, two of my housemates, Florence and Rosie, formed an all-singing-all-dancing musical vegetarian double act. Of course, there were times when I wondered why our kitchen cupboard had pictures of famous vegetarians on it, and why they - well, there were many times when I wondered why. However, I miss their eccentric ways and happily read their vegetarian recipe blog now: http://afreshdegree.wordpress.com. As it is Rosie's birthday today, I thought I should take a look at her favourite vegetable.


Pisum sativum, the pea.
(Annual plant.)

For an early pea, such as the 'Kelvedon Wonder' or 'Feltham First':
Planting: March to early June, in a 2x6in trench. Supportive structure also required.
Flowering: June to August. Harvest peas shortly afterwards.
Aspect: Full sun.
Hardiness: Half hardy.

Notes: Peas are of course commonly green, but may also be purple or golden yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment