Sunday 29 December 2013

Thymus vulgaris.

It would be breaking an unspoken rule not to follow rosemary with thyme, and fortunately I have no intention of doing so. I have had an especial fondness for thyme since my day spent in the beautiful landscape of Bannockburn, New Zealand (far more stunning than my photograph here). Although it is described as desert, I remember the swathes of wild thyme and their aroma.

Thymus vulgaris, "Common Thyme".
(Woody evergreen perennial.)

Planting: Spring.
Flowering: Late spring or summer.
Aspect: Full sun.
Hardiness: Hardy.



Notes: (Forgive the repeated references to classical civilisations - I studied ancient history at university, you see.) The ancient Greeks used thyme incense in their baths and in their temples, believing it a source of courage. Centuries later, medieval knights would be given sprigs of thymes by their maidens.

No comments:

Post a Comment