Sunday 29 December 2013

Sorbus aucuparia.

Well, it certainly has been windy around Britain in recent days... by British standards, of course. It only takes a crumpled umbrella to create a news article and a small & sombre monument. Nevertheless, there have been many fallen branches and twigs on the lawn and, as the family & I were clearing them away, I thought it bad that I couldn't identify any of the twigs. However, with a little Christmas magic, all of that is set to change.
As I dug deeper into my Christmas stocking, I discovered four sticks, bent and barky. However, as I looked closer I realised they were pencils, with each of their respective species written on their tips!
                                                                             The first one was rowan.

Sorbus aucuparia, "Rowan".
(Deciduous trees or shrubs.)

Planting: Spring.
Flowering: Spring.
Aspect: Full sun or part shade.
Hardiness: Very hardy.

Notes: The Welsh name for the tree is criafol, meaning "lamenting fruit". Their tradition held that Christ's cross was carved from rowan wood, and the berries are consequently blood-red.

No comments:

Post a Comment