Sunday 29 December 2013

Sequoia sempervirens.

As I said at the start of this little blog, my purpose here is to record my growing knowledge of fascinating plants - I cannot guarantee entertainment to all who find themselves upon this page! However, my amigo Laurence was very enthused about it - or very polite - and suggested I look at conifers.
     The misty, dense forest so often appears in the adventure films that inspire the likes of us, such as Star Wars or Jurassic Park (do take a look at Laurence's impression of Jurassic Park hero, Jeff Goldblum:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4T726x5KNNQ#t=488).
     This post looks at the greatest conifer, and the tallest tree of all, the Sequoia sempervirens. They truly are breathtaking. I hope that Laurence and I will one day be able to see these trees in their native environment - and perhaps a dinosaur or two.

Sequoia sempervirens, "California Redwood".
(Coniferous evergreen tree.)

Planting: Early spring.
Aspect: Sun or part shade.
Hardiness: Hardy.

Notes: The oldest known specimen is over two thousand years old, the tallest three hundred and seventy-nine feet. The largest, forty-two thousand and five hundred cubic feet in size, is known as 'the Lost Monarch'.


All credit to the National Geographic Society for this photo: can you spot the intrepid climbers?

No comments:

Post a Comment